Pagina 4 di 9 PrimaPrima 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... UltimaUltima
Risultati da 46 a 60 di 130

Discussione: Our English Lab

Opinionista L'avatar di follemente
    I cannot be without computer and internet. I read all my newspapers, I stay in contact with many friends and now I see others with Skype, Zoom or WhatsApp. I have also videoconferences and videolessons. I can't imagine to be without internet.

No Excuses L'avatar di Jerda
    I forgot a question for Follemente.

What are your favourite flowers? Do you grow a lot of them in your garden? Do you find it uplifting to see them blossom in this period?
    Citazione Originariamente Scritto da BiO-dEiStA Visualizza Messaggio
    Questa sì che è vita, altro che la marea di boiate pseudoscientifiche con cui una mandria di dilettanti pagati a peso d'oro continua a riempirci la testa e a mandare a puttane il paese.
    Ben ritrovati.

In the meantime, let us share some tips and curiosities about english.

As you may know, h is a letter to be definitely pronounced in english. However, there are exceptions.

Some words, such as honour, hour, herb, honest, have a silent h and it has not to be pronounced.

So, it will be:

"I have been waiting for you for an hour and a half!"

"It's an honour to meet you!"

"I've found a good remedy, it's an herb that i grow in my garden"

Same goes for honest, and other words.
    Ultima modifica di Jerda; 19-04-2020 alle 22:30
    Questa sì che è vita, altro che la marea di boiate pseudoscientifiche con cui una mandria di dilettanti pagati a peso d'oro continua a riempirci la testa e a mandare a puttane il paese.
    Ben ritrovati.

whatever.. L'avatar di Misterikx
    Citazione Originariamente Scritto da Jerda Visualizza Messaggio

What are your favourite flowers? Do you grow a lot of them in your garden? Do you find it uplifting to see them blossom in this period?
    " Non siamo in un salotto borbonico col mignolo sollevato e l'inchino obbligatorio. Qui siamo tutti uguali. Non ti aspettare in un forum cose difficili da trovare pure tra amici e parenti." Nahui

C'mon Mister, speak up say something you're practically english
    Ultima modifica di Jerda; 20-04-2020 alle 08:28
    Ben ritrovati.

I forgot a question for Follemente.

There are many flowers that I like: roses, tulips, daisies, iris, geraniums... It's a delight for the eyes and for the heart to see them bloom, also the tree blossoms. This remember us the nature cycle, every year the same. And it is also relaxing to do the gardening.

Perhaps I don't understand very well the word "uplifting" (edificante?)...

Have you ever cheated in an exam? Were you worried about getting caught? Would you ever cheat in a very important exam?

Uplifting means edificante, but it is also used to mean "something that makes you feel better" in general.

I don't remember having cheated at an exam, sure I have done it during tests in class. But I have also helped by sending notes around to my classmates in trouble a lot ^^'
    Yes, I know I would, there's no denying.

Would you like having games, such as "A&Q" or "If you were..." in Meltin' Pot?
    Which ones that we currently have in spazio libero sfogo would you see fit most? Would you enjoy playing new ones?
    Ben ritrovati.

Tongue twisters.

Websites that host them swear that they are an amazing way to improve your pronunciation. Do not believe, they are a mortal weapon to destroy one's confidence and nerves if they are used that way

One of the most frequent mistakes that beginners, but also advanced non-native speakers do, is trying to speak way faster that they are capable or should, ending up misspelling common words and talking confusedly. It is true that, once a certain skill is achieved, it can be useful to speak at a slightly faster speed than one is used to. But always speaking too fast doesn't let the brain rewire on a new language. It is surely better to speak slowly, and then trying to understand where and when it is advisable to get trained to speak faster.

However, tongue twisters are amusing and can push you to think about some pronunciation issues. So, I'll post some, but a quick google search can make you discover a lot more.

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers
    A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked
    If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers
    Where’s the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?

Betty Botter bought some butter
    But she said the butter’s bitter
    If I put it in my batter, it will make my batter bitter
    But a bit of better butter will make my batter better
    So ‘twas better Betty Botter bought a bit of better butter

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
    He would chuck, he would, as much as he could, and chuck as much wood
    As a woodchuck would if a woodchuck could chuck wood

Ultima modifica di Jerda; 20-04-2020 alle 15:55
    Ben ritrovati.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Uplifting means edificante, but it is also used to mean "something that makes you feel better" in general.

I don't remember having cheated at an exam, sure I have done it during tests in class. But I have also helped by sending notes around to my classmates in trouble a lot ^^'
    Yes, I know I would, there's no denying.

Would you like having games, such as "A&Q" or "If you were..." in Meltin' Pot?
    Which ones that we currently have in spazio libero sfogo would you see fit most? Would you enjoy playing new ones?
    I like most A and Q because it is more free. I don't know if a new game suits me.

How do you relax?

doing nothing.

and you?
    Bambol utente of the decade

Pretty much the same

Can you swim? If so, how did you learn? Do you like to dive in when you go to the beach, wether it be sea or lake?
    Ben ritrovati.

What I tell you for? (che non è proprio traduzione tipica inglese di Oxford)

Ma il senso si capisce lo stesso!!

+++

I learned to swim at age eight ... we were at the river, the lifebuoy slipped off and I was left without...
    and when I asked for help, my father replied from the shore "or you go out alone, or you drown".

I chose the second option.
    Ultima modifica di bumble-bee; 20-04-2020 alle 22:17

...you drowned?

Ben ritrovati.

Sorry, I was wrong, I chose the first option, of course!!

Citazione Originariamente Scritto da bumble-bee Visualizza Messaggio
    doing nothing.

and you?
    I relax most by smoking a cigarette and drinking a glass of good wine in peace.

Pretty much the same

Can you swim? If so, how did you learn? Do you like to dive in when you go to the beach, wether it be sea or lake?
    Yes, I can. My story is similar to the Bumble's story. I was about six years old and I was swimming in deep water in the sea when my lifebuoy deflated. I began to move quickly my arms and legs to save my life and so I learned to swim. I was scared, but I could reach the shore.

I don't like very much to dive, only in the sea and if there are many fishes and shrimps.

What's your earliest memory?
    Ultima modifica di follemente; 21-04-2020 alle 14:12

Permessi di Scrittura

• Tu non puoi inviare nuove discussioni
  • Tu non puoi inviare risposte
  • Tu non puoi inviare allegati
  • Tu non puoi modificare i tuoi messaggi
  •  
  • Il codice BBAttivato
  • Le faccine sono Attivato
  • Il codice [IMG]Attivato
  • Il codice [VIDEO]Attivato