Pagina 1 di 5 1 2 3 4 5 UltimaUltima
Risultati da 1 a 15 di 66

Discussione: Express yourself!

Contessa de noantri... L'avatar di DonaFlor

Express yourself!

Hello People!
    When I was a student my English teacher asked me a question that made me think a lot, and I'd like to ask you the same question:

Do you think that you can really express yourself when you speak in a foreign language?

I don't. I feel like I'm not the same person when I speak another language. The problem doesn't consist in how deeply I know the language - the point is: could I say the same things in Italian and in English? or should I modify my way of speaking in order to say what I really want to say??

I feel like I'm a slightly different person when I speak English, or German. For example, I can't use the same jokes I would use in Italian, so I must change the expression I would have said in Italian, and use another one, which can sound better in a foreign language. So, on one side, I don't really feel free to express myself, but on the other side, I can express a part of me which is normally hidden.

What do you think about it?

Opinionista L'avatar di marco_ciuffo

In any way

I agree.I think that the best way to express himself in all situations and in all conditions is being able to listening to the others and trying to understanding what they want to say and not what they say, this is the skill that makes the man so different than the machine. But sometimes it's nice also the misunderstanding between two persons, because it could be the opportunity to discover new features of the relationship (of any kinds).

Be yourself and try to express it in any possible way, that's important

Banned
    Citazione Originariamente Scritto da DonaFlor
    Hello People!
    When I was a student my English teacher asked me a question that made me think a lot, and I'd like to ask you the same question:

Do you think that you can really express yourself when you speak in a foreign language?

I don't. I feel like I'm not the same person when I speak another language. The problem doesn't consist in how deeply I know the language - the point is: could I say the same things in Italian and in English? or should I modify my way of speaking in order to say what I really want to say??

I feel like I'm a slightly different person when I speak English, or German. For example, I can't use the same jokes I would use in Italian, so I must change the expression I would have said in Italian, and use another one, which can sound better in a foreign language. So, on one side, I don't really feel free to express myself, but on the other side, I can express a part of me which is normally hidden.

What do you think about it?
    You"re right..When we speak a different language we try
    to conform ourselves to the mentality of the people whose
    language we speak.
    We don"t tell the same jokes .

warrior L'avatar di Micol
    Hi!
    Funny to say, but friends tell me that I have even a different voicewhether I speak french or italian...I couldn't tell for english...
    I think Tom is right, as a language is stricly connected to culture, behaviours and mentality...
    THerefore, I must say that after spending some days in a french speaking country, simple thigs - like jokes for e.g.- come out more simply in that language...
    Anyway, I'm very lucky because here, in Belgium, you always have the chance to speak different languages every day.

Coming to what DonaFlor said...I don't think that you are a different person when you speak a different language but for sure, if you know the cultre linked to it, you will express yourself taking into account the culture.This really mean that you are "expressing yourself" in a foreign language

Citazione Originariamente Scritto da Micol
    Hi!
    Funny to say, but friends tell me that I have even a different voicewhether I speak french or italian...I couldn't tell for english...
    Well, that's really interesting! And funny, I must say! When I lived in Austria for some months I spoke many different languages all day and I had this experience: some times I was speaking English, and I regretted not speaking in German (or Italian), or viceversa, because I knew that in that language I could better explain what I really meant to say. That was sometimes frustrating, but sometimes it forced me to go on and try to express the same concept in other words..... Doesn't it happen to you too? (I hope I'm not alone!)
    Grande chef di Risotti in busta

Yes, this also happens to me with english!
    With French and Italian I am much more confident.
    But I'm sure it depends on how much time you spend in a foreign country or speaking a foreign language.
    I remember living with an american flatmade and always speaking english with her and after some weeks..mqybe months it was much easier.
    I think that once you've learned a language, it stays somewhere in your brain...you just have to go and look for it and take it out!
    Anyway, very happy to write in english! good idea
    And where did your learn your english?

Anyway, very happy to write in english! good idea
    And where did your learn your english?
    I'm happy too! This international forum has been one of the grounds that convinced me to log me in!
    I learnt English at school, and now in my working place I often have English-speaking costumers, so I'm used to speak English almost every day. But in terms of foreign languages, my first love is German, and I'm graduated in German literature, but by now I haven't the possibility to work in this field.

Opinionista L'avatar di decimogiovenale
    Yeah...it's true...sometimes when I speak English I start lying...and I don't express what I wanted to say

I'm happy too! This international forum has been one of the grounds that convinced me to log me in!
    I learnt English at school, and now in my working place I often have English-speaking costumers, so I'm used to speak English almost every day. But in terms of foreign languages, my first love is German, and I'm graduated in German literature, but by now I haven't the possibility to work in this field.
    That's a shame! my first love is french! and I don't speak german, even if I've studied it for many years at school!At least, we have english in common!
    Don't you think it would be nice to try to open a trhead where more people could participate? I mean, something that could involve more english-speaking?
    Let's find a subject!

Don't you think it would be nice to try to open a trhead where more people could participate? I mean, something that could involve more english-speaking?
    Let's find a subject!
    Of course! I'll think about it (now it's too late to think... about anything!). After a good sleep I'll surely find some topics we can discuss all together! Good night...!

Banned

How about comparing italian men with other nationalities?

A subject very interesting ...Being a man ,canadian, I would like to know
    what you think of different nationalities ..

Citazione Originariamente Scritto da Tom
    A subject very interesting ...Being a man ,canadian, I would like to know
    what you think of different nationalities ..
    Hi Tom! Do you mean a comparison between Italian MEN and other nationalities's men, or Italian PEOPLE and others?? I haven't really understood if you mean a discussion about people in general or about males!

Interesting subject indeed!

Banned

How do you find Italian men

Hi Tom! Do you mean a comparison between Italian MEN and other nationalities's men, or Italian PEOPLE and others?? I haven't really understood if you mean a discussion about people in general or about males!

Interesting subject indeed!
    comparing them to men of other nationalities ?

Hi Tom, Donaflor and I, we have opened a new thread, have a look

Banned

Thanks

Hi Tom, Donaflor and I, we have opened a new thread, have a look
    Micol ,tu vas me laisser dire ce que je pense des
    femmes italiennes..

Permessi di Scrittura

• Tu non puoi inviare nuove discussioni
  • Tu non puoi inviare risposte
  • Tu non puoi inviare allegati